Sermon Reflection - "The Biblical Theologian"
Hebrews 1:1-2:4 - “The Biblical Theologian”
"Every Christian by definition knows God, thinks about God and makes statements about God." A biblical theologian is not limited to the academic, but it is a characteristic of every church member. As church members we are "devoted to knowing God as He has revealed Himself to us in the Bible."
Truths from What is a Healthy Church Member? by Thabiti Anyabwhile
"To practice biblical theology is to know God himself...keeping in mind that the Bible is the self-revelation of God...and the biblical theologian is a person committed to understanding the history of revelation, the grand themes and doctrines of the Bible, and how they fit together" (p. 28).
Strategies on becoming a biblical theologian
- Read a good book on biblical theology
- Study the Scripture thematically
- Adopt the New Testament's attitude toward the Old Testament
How is this passage a fulfillment to a promise in the Old Testament?
How does this passage clarify, unveil, or amplify something from the Old Testament?
- Study the Old Testament with Jesus and the New Testament in view
- Study the books of prophecy in the Old Testament
- Know and agree to support your church's statement of faith
- Seek doctrinal unity and avoid needless disputes
Which one of Thabiti's strategies are you most interested in?
What plan will you make to grow in your knowledge of God?
Knowing God by J. I. Packer
According to Plan by Graeme Goldsworthy
More in Renewal Blog
July 25, 2018Students on Mission: Summer LINK Prague reflections
July 25, 2018Church-Wide Reading: Week 4
July 17, 2018Church-Wide Reading: Week 3